I missed this Fast Company article when it was published in April. Most useful was the infographic. In it, I learned:
- Among creators, film and video is the most popular type of Kickstarter project, but this category ranks second among backers, and sixth in the list of successes.
- The category most likely to be funded: projects related to dance (but there aren’t many of them, and there aren’t many people who back dance). Theater projects come in second, music in third, and and art in fourth. Both music and art are strong in terms of number of projects, and also, in terms of their success rate, ranking fourth and fifth on the list.
- There are lots of game projects, and lots of people who back game projects, but in terms of project success, odds are not so good. Still, games have generated more revenue than any other category.
- Video matters. More than four out of five Kickstarter projects are pitched with a video.
- For the past several years (that is, for as long as Kickstarter has been around), just over 2 in 5 projects are successfully funded.
There’s much more in the article.